Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Day 2012

Christmas can change based on: religious affiliations, childhood memories and traditions; financial status, and family relationships. I know people who get very depressed around the holidays, and then people who feel the best they've felt all year. Regardless of happy or sad: I think the meaning of this holiday is one for reflecting on how important it is to be a sloth, practice gluttony, feel pride, and covet thy neighbors gifts; all in the company of your family and loved ones. And, since everyone's doing it: why feel guilty? Allow the sin to wash away the guilt and bathe in the decadence of Christmas Present. But, for me: christmas is all these things and more because of the thoughtfulness of friends.

Christmas this year was full of lots and lots of text messages.

I love how everyone sends a text to all their friends wishing them a Happy Holiday. As much as I tell myself that we live in a world where physical communication is limited and we are all too removed from each other, I am reminded that, indeed, we can still reach out an touch each other with a thought: and that can go a long way.

I got a whole bunch of "Merry Christmas, Nat" and a few "We need to hang out soon!" and "I hope you and your family are well." And every time I picked up my phone to see another message like that I smiled. I got texts from friends I haven't heard from in a while, from friends I saw a few days ago, and even a couple of exes wishing me well. It's almost as if we all took off our labels and decided to reach out through the non-threatening and immediate medium of texting to remind ourselves that, no matter how long we've gone between communicating, on this day: I am letting you know I was thinking of you and wishing you well.

I'm so grateful for all of the texts this year.

Cheers to all! Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment