Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Quick Lesson

Me: (Walking down 34th Avenue in Queens toward Astoria, listening to music) La la la la, I'm hot shit, la la la. Music is nice. It's such a pretty day. Wow, look at the blue sky. Gonna meet an old friend and mentor from college and we'll work on developing my Solo Show. Hmm. I wonder what time it is. (Pulls out cell phone to check) Oh, I'm right on time-

Time Slows. The World pauses as I get airborne. The concrete raised it's ugly head and grabbed my left foot forcing me into a full on sprawl that left me kissing the pavement in the middle of the street. I got up very quickly, not even assessing the damage, instead I look around to see if there were any witnesses to the magical pavement monster that just tripped me.

No one had even batted an eyelash.

Me: (now walking quickly away from the scene of the attack) Ow. Ow ow ow ow. My foot hurts. That was really stupid. I was just the a typical brunette white girl wearing her designer footwear, rocking her designer sunglasses and pulling out her iPhone 4 to check some information and because I was't paying any attention to the world around me, the pavement monster just tripped me. (laughing hysterically). This is the second fall I've had this week! I fell on the stairs on my way out of the train station. I have a huge bruise on my left arm and right knee to prove it. except that wasn't even caused by a lack of attention, just plain clumsiness. I'll just keep showing up to work with more bruises and the excuses are pretty funny. Like, what a battered wife would say when she shows up all damaged. "No, really, I fell down the stairs" and "yeah, I did really trip in the street"

Laughing it off made the hurt stop. Laughter really is the best medicine. Oh, and I'll try hard not to zone out from the world around me next time I decide to go for a walk. Ok, lesson learned. I don't need to trip again.


1 comment:

  1. Ouch empathy, sprained my ankle crossing 7th avenue a few days ago. Is this genetic?

    ReplyDelete